+ Reply to Thread
  1. Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy # 1
    Arial

Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy

I have a friend who is pregnant with her first and her doctor told her to take Flintstone vitamins as a prenatal. I cannot believe this! Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing??

2.   Alt 
    Werbung

3. Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy # 2
    luvmykids
    No, and if that's what her doctor is telling her she may need to find another. Flintstone vitamins do not have the folic acid that every pregnant woman needs to prevent birth defects.

4. Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy # 3
    mhsteele
    I don't think Flintstones vitamins have nearly enough folic acid in them to support a pregnancy. Folic acid can help reduce your chance of birth defects and is not something that should be taken lightly. You can reduce your risk of having a baby born with a cleft palate, spina bifida or congenital heart disease.

Here are some resources that highlight problems that can occur without proper prenatal care.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002046/
    http://spinabifidainfo.com
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/con...efects/DS01117

5. Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy # 4
    Georgiamom
    That's terrible. She needs a new doctor ASAP if that's the best advice they have got. Mhsteele is right folic acid is terribly important during pregnancy.

6. Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy # 5
    CaliWifey
    Okay ladies, you all are putting out false info! This is NOT uncommon. Doctors do prescribe Flintstones to women who can't keep prenatals down because they make some women very nauseous. Two Flintstones gummies DO contain the 400 mcg folic acid that is recommended for pregnancy.

7. Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy # 6
    candy
    Flintstones are not pre-natel vitamins, maybe this doc is a dingbat. A friend of mine is taking candy coated PN's but she also has a serious gag issue, so for her its hellpful. I see no possible reason as to why a child's vitamin would be helpful though.

8. Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy # 7
    happygirl
    With several brands of adult chewable or gummy-type vitamins on the market, I would think there is a better option out there than Flintstones. Of course, something is better than nothing.

9. Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy # 8
    Haleigh
    I guess the question is how much mcg's of folic acid does a pregnant women need then? Maybe Flintstone vitamins are okay if they contain the proper amount. Actually, a good doctor should know this. A quick research should be able to confirm 400 mcg of folic acid is correct.
    Last edited by Haleigh; 10-26-11 at 02:50 PM.

10. Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy # 9
    Carolyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Haleigh View Post
    I guess the question is how much mcg's of folic acid does a pregnant women need then? Maybe Flintstone vitamins are okay if they contain the proper amount. Actually, a good doctor should know this. A quick research should be able to confirm 400 mcg of folic acid is correct.
    I don't know. I think I would feel a lot more comfortable going with a vitamin that is specially formulated for prenatal health. It is better to be safe than sorry with your baby.

11. Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy # 10
    candy
    I honestly wonder how many other "doctors" are saying stuff like this, even more, how many people are believing them? Did the person just walk out of med school on a limb after cheating their way to get that degree.

More threads of Arial
  1. Did anybody have bizarre craving combinations...
    im Forum Pregnancy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-25-10, 08:02 PM
  2. My almost 14 month old is obsessed with her...
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-22-10, 09:37 PM
  3. I've been trying to get my 13 month old to clap...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-10, 03:00 PM
  4. We are raising our daughter vegetarian plus fish...
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-11-10, 12:13 AM
  5. I found this great workout plan created by Tony...
    im Forum Weightloss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-10, 03:41 PM
Other threads in forum Pre-Natal Health & Nutrition
  1. I haven't dealt with this, personally, but I find...
    by Mom2JDS
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-05-11, 09:55 AM
  2. The doctor told me that I need to take more folic...
    by Lauren_3354
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-11, 02:33 PM
  3. Did you have the genetic screening tests run in...
    by busymom
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-28-10, 09:32 AM
  4. Did your partner accompany you to your pre natal...
    by smiler
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-10, 08:57 AM
You are viewing Flintstones vitamins during pregnancy.